Pages

October 28, 2014

Video analysis: Election night with Rob Ford … and Doug, too

The reaction for Rob Ford – a winner on election night – was strong at the Ford election night party. The crowd’s feel for Doug Ford, well the National Post’s Matt Gurney found it a little different.

Doug Ford makes his concession speech following his loss to John Tory. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn)

Doug Ford makes his concession speech following his loss to John Tory. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn)

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets a kiss from his wife Renata. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn)

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets a kiss from his wife Renata. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn)

Rob Ford speaks to supporters after winning his seat on city council. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese)

Rob Ford speaks to supporters after winning his seat on city council. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese)

October 27, 2014

Doug Ford lost the election, but the Fords still have a war to win

Doug Ford has lost his bid to replace his brother as mayor of Toronto, but for a family that seems to view themselves as a dynasty, there’s still a war to be won.

Although Doug lost to John Tory, current Mayor Rob Ford won back his old seat in Etobicoke’s Ward 2, often called the heart of Ford Nation. Despite having only put his name in the race at the last possible moment, despite not being able to campaign a full strength due to his cancer diagnosis and despite deciding he was too ill to be mayor but perfectly fine to be a councillor, Mayor Ford garnered 58 per cent of the vote. The next closest candidate had just 11 per cent support.

And then, of course, there was the months-long scandal involving substance abuse, alleged drunk driving and accusations of conflicts of interest that time and time again failed to discourage the mayor’s most passionate supporters.

In his victory speech on Monday night, Mayor Ford made it clear that his brother’s loss was merely a temporary setback.

“We, today, gotta start working for November of 2018,” said Rob.

“If you know anything about the Ford family, folks, if you know anything about the Ford family, we never, ever, ever give up.”

Rob Ford consoles his brother. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn)

Rob Ford consoles his brother. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn)

He was even more candid with the Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington, saying “I will be running for mayor in four years” and that he “will be the first person to sign up in 2018.”

There’s also the freshest face in the Ford clan: 20-year-old Michael Ford.

The son of Rob and Doug’s sister Kathy, on Monday night Michael won the position of public school board Trustee in Ward 1. He received 43.7 per cent of the vote despite that, like the mayor, he only switched to the ballot hours before deadline. He had been running as councillor in Ward 2 but made the change when Uncle Rob joined in.

In her book Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story, journalist Robyn Doolittle wrote the Fords see themselves as the Canadian Kennedys — a family with the desire to pick and choose who among them will rise to power. Even as Doug took over the bid for mayor, his words were always “we” and “our administration,” seeing no difference between himself and his brother, save a drug scandal or two.

The Fords may not have managed to win the mayor’s office again, but they are clearly determined to remain an enduring force in Toronto politics.

Expert panel urges Canadian doctors to stop screening men for prostate cancer

Prostate cancer test Clipboard with prostate examination form. Photo: Postmedia News file

A national expert panel is recommending doctors stop screening men for prostate cancer.

The Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care says there is no evidence that PSA screening reduces overall death from prostate cancer among men of any age, most cancers detected are slow growing and as many as 56 per cent of all men diagnosed with prostate cancer are over diagnosed — meaning the cancer never would have caused symptoms or killed the man during his lifetime.

Over diagnosis exposes men to needless treatments that can lead to impotence, incontinence and other complications of radiation or surgery, the task force warns in new guidelines to be published Monday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Overall, the controversial screening tests results in only a 0.1 per cent reduction in death from prostate cancer, the task force found.

The PSA, or prostate specific antigen test, measures a protein produced by the prostate gland. The higher the man’s blood PSA levels, the more likely he is thought to have cancer. Many doctors recommend an annual PSA starting at age 50.

But even higher-than-normal PSA counts don’t necessarily mean the man has prostate cancer, and cancer can be present even with low PSA levels.

The recommendations apply to men in the general population. Those at increased risk of developing, and dying from prostate cancer include black men and men with a family history of the disease.

The task force says doctors should discuss the benefits and harms of screening higher risk men.

Symptoms of prostate cancer can include weak urinary flow, an urgent need to urinate, frequent urination during the day and especially at night and blood in the urine.

Introduced in the 1990s, the PSA test was originally meant to help monitor men diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. But it’s use quickly spread to include screening healthy men as well.

Before the PSA test, “we didn’t really have anything, except for the digital rectal examination,” said Dr. Neil Bell, chair of the task force’s working group on prostate cancer screening and a professor in the department of family medicine at the University of Alberta.

“It was a nice blood test you could do and hopefully it would tell you that the men you were screening were at risk for prostate cancer or not,” he said. But the test was widely adopted before there was any good evidence supporting using it as a screening tool.

Most prostate cancers have a good prognosis, and the survival rate is the highest among all cancers in men. Overall, about 95 per cent of men diagnosed with prostate cancer will survive at least 10 years.

About 14 per cent of men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point in their lifetime, but fewer than four per cent of men will die from the disease.

The national task force, which is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada, “looked at the evidence for the harms and benefits of PSA screening and decided that it’s not a good thing to do,” said Bell.

Overall, the task force found that for every 1,000 men screened, 102 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer. But 33 of these 102 prostate cancers would not have caused illness or death.

As well, five men will die from prostate cancer despite undergoing PSA screening, while one man will escape death from prostate cancer because of screening.

Overall, the task force recommends:

• In men younger than 55, and men 70 and older, the task force strongly recommends against screening with the PSA test.

• For men aged 55 to 69 — the core age group — the task force also recommends not screening. The panel says there may be a “small but uncertain” reduction in the risk of dying from prostate cancer by screening men in this age group, but there is also a high risk of false-positives, unnecessary biopsies and over diagnosis.

“There is some potential benefit, but we’re concerned about the harms,” Bell said.

The harms come in not from the blood test, but from what happens after the blood test comes back, he said.

Men who screen above a certain PSA threshold are often sent for a biopsy. A biopsy involves taking multiple samples from the prostate. “Sometimes they do six, sometimes they do 12. In some places they’ve gone up to 32 cores,” Bell said.

Minor biopsy-related complications can include bleeding and infections, but about two per cent of men end up hospitalized with major complications, and about one to two per 1,000 die within 120 days of having their biopsy, Bell said.

“If you screen positive on the biopsy, you could be a candidate for surgery, radiation or hormonal therapy.” Surgery and radiation can cause erectile dysfunction and urinary incontinence. There is also now growing concern over whether hormone therapy also increases the risk of heart disease “because it’s a fairly potent dose of drugs that are given,” Bell said.

The risk of prostate cancer increases with age. By the time men reach age 60 or 70, “well over half or more would have something in their prostate you could diagnose as cancer,” Bell said.

However, “The majority of these men will never suffer any complications or symptoms from this disease — they will die from something else before they die from prostate cancer.”

For some men, screening “comes down to your values and preferences,” Bell said. “We recommend against screening, but there may be some men who value that small benefit” of one life saved for every 1,000 men screened, “and who aren’t so worried about the harms,” he said.

The new Canadian guidelines are similar to those produced by a U.S. task force two years ago. Australia also recommends against routine PSA screening.

skirkey@postmedia.com

‘Please, please elect this man': John Oliver begs Toronto to vote Doug Ford

Last Week Tonight host John Oliver asks Toronto voters to give the rest of the year four more years of Ford-related comedy. Last Week Tonight host John Oliver asks Toronto voters to give the rest of the year four more years of Ford-related comedy.

John Oliver has a message for Toronto voters heading to the polls Monday: elect Doug Ford as mayor.

The Last Week Tonight host ended his satire program Sunday night with an appeal “on behalf of the rest of the world” for Toronto to continue providing late-night comedy fodder by electing the brother of Mayor Rob Ford — even if most Torontonians are ready to move on from the circus.

Oliver recounted some of the politician’s recent missteps on the campaign trail, including the bizarre claim that his wife is Jewish and allegedly calling a Toronto Star reporter a “little bitch,” and concluded another Ford mayoralty was simply too good to pass up.

“Please, please elect this man. Sure, his brother was fun but a certain point we felt bad laughing at him, whereas Doug Ford doesn’t have a drug problem — he’s just an asshole,” said Oliver.

“So please, Toronto, I beg you: Let us laugh at your asshole for another four years.”

Although Oliver (and many other late-night talk show hosts) may have their hearts set on “Ford more years,” it seems very unlikely another Ford will occupy the mayor’s chair. According to most recent polls, the race is John Tory’s to lose. The former businessman and leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservatives was polling at about 42 per cent going into election day; Ford had the support of some 32 per cent while former NDP MP Olivia Chow came in third with 23 per cent, according to polling analysis site ThreeHundredEight.com.

Polls are open Monday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

October 26, 2014

‘You need evil to bring out the good ‘

A child traces the name of Nathan Cirillo on a poster at a small candlelight vigil on Sunday that was held in Corktown Park, the neighbourhood where Cirillo lived, in Hamilton, Ont. 26, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power A child traces the name of Nathan Cirillo on a poster at a small candlelight vigil on Sunday that was held in Corktown Park, the neighbourhood where Cirillo lived, in Hamilton, Ont. 26, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power Photo: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power

HAMILTON, Ont. — On Wednesday night, after the attack, I tracked down the Twitter account of one of the Canadians fighting for the caliphate in a desert far away.

The misguided or demented young man, whose name I won’t share with you, was tweeting celebratory messages. He expressed glee, for instance, when Wednesday night’s Sens-Bruins game was called off. I think that’s as good as it’s going to get for buddy. I expect that if he lives long enough — and I don’t care either way — he’ll realize that himself.

Because for all the fear and suffering that resulted from Wednesday’s shooting, it hasn’t made us fearful or hateful, and it doesn’t look like it will.

In fact, it gave people opportunities to do things that matter — to be brave or strong or compassionate or wise — to show us what we are made of.

Consider the tragic death of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, who was standing guard in his kilt on a sunny Ottawa morning one moment and breathing his last on the ground the next.

His friends and family members arrived somber-faced Sunday evening for a private visitation at Markey Dermody Funeral Home in Hamilton. There will be a public visitation from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Monday. He will be laid to rest in a full regimental funeral at Christ’s Church Cathedral at noon on Tuesday.

Cirillo’s death tore a terrible hole of suffering and loss that will never fully heal for his loved ones, his little son especially, but it also brought out good things in many people, and they, and we, get to think about them, and remember what good we are capable of.

It starts with Brandon Stevenson, the soldier standing next to Cirillo standing guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier that afternoon. After Cirillo was shot, Stevenson tried to chase the shooter down, although the rifles he and Cirillo were carrying were unloaded.

People sign the book of condolences outside the Markey-Dermody Funeral Home in Hamilton, Ontario for the visitation for Cpl Nathan Cirillo on Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014. The 24-year-old reservist was gunned down as he stood ceremonial guard at the National War Memorial in Ottawa on Wednesday.

People sign a book of condolences outside the Markey-Dermody Funeral Home in Hamilton, Ontario, on Sunday, Oct. 26. Photo: The Canadian Press

According to the heartbreaking account of Cirillo’s last moments written by Laura Eggertson, a soldier — I don’t know if it was Stevenson or another — administered first aid to Cirillo, telling him: “You’re doing good, you’re doing good, buddy. You’re breathing — keep breathing.”

Barbara Winters, a former naval reservist with first aid training who just happened to walk past at the moment of the shooting, was kneeling next to Cirillo, trying to save his life.

She recited thel Lord’s Prayer for him, held him and told him how much he was loved.

And think of Kaz Nejatian, a former Jason Kenney staffer, who set up StandOnGuardFund.com, a website to raise money for the families of Cirillo and Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who was killed in Quebec.

And think of 1,971 Canadians who donated $165,495 to that fund as of Sunday night, so that those families, for all they have lost, will not want for money in the painful days ahead.

And think of the soldiers of the Royal Canadian Regiment who took Cirillo’s place on Friday.

And think of the people who stood in line to place flowers on the memorial, so many flowers that the thing looked like a wreath, not a monument.

Nathan Cirillo

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24, died after being shot at the Canadian War Memorial in Ottawa. Photo: Facebook

Then think of all the people who lined the Highway of Heroes as Cirillo’s comrades drove his casket to Hamilton. They pulled to the side of the road and stood there to watch him go by, stood on the overpasses with their flags.
I went to Club Absinthe, a gritty rock ‘n’ roll bar in downtown Hamilton, where Cirillo used to be a bouncer on Sunday nights.

Leo Gagnon, a fellow bouncer, has known Cirillo since Grade 9. They worked side by side and played sports together for years.

He said the staff at the club are struggling to keep it together since they heard the news.

“We’re doing the best we can to just keep on and be strong,” he told me. “I’m sure he would have appreciated it too. If he ever had a problem he wasn’t somebody who would share it with everybody. He’d take care of it himself. He was always positive. That’s it.”

Gagnon is struggling to focus on the good thing that have come from the loss of his friend.

“It’s a paradox,” he said. “It’s like the old cliche. You need evil to bring out the good. And I think that’s what we’re seeing now. It’s a shame that this had to happen for people to come together. I think the resolve is fantastic and I think it really shows the good side of the people. And I’m glad we can focus on that right now because there’s a lot of crap we hear about all the time. To see something so bad strike so much love and interest, I’m sure he’s honoured.”

So, it matters? All the people lining the highway? The vigils, the flowers.

“Absolutely,” he says. “For everyone.”

smaher@postmedia.com